Ok…. so if you are thinking about something and it’s causing you to worry, and if you find worrying generally isn’t terribly helpful, then I’d like you to take a few minutes, take a break – get a pencil and paper, and give yourself a few minutes to do the following exercise.
1. What is it you’re worrying about? Take a few minutes and write about it. Write down what’s going on, what you’re thinking and feeling in relation to this issue, and the impact worrying is having on your behaviour…..
2. Now, think about and respond to these questions:
- What is this worrying getting you?
- How is worrying serving you?
- What do you notice about how it’s making you feel?
- What do you notice about where your focus is? i.e on “can’t vs. can – on scarcity vs abundance – on risks vs. opportunities?
- What do you notice about the choices (or lack of choices) you seem to have?
- How are you behaving and what is the impact on yourself and on others?
- What are you doing? What actions are you taking in relation to this issue?
3. Ok….. now that you’ve written some things down about worry, I want you to flip off the “Worry Switch”. That’s right – I want you to do that right now – even if it’s for just as long as it takes you to finish this activity – turn it off – Worry is off! – put those feelings and reactions and beliefs away.
4. Now…. turn on the “Possibility Switch”. Go ahead – flip that switch…. The one that creates energy and light – the switch that focuses on hope, and abundance and allowing and the future! The one where you have choices and feel strong! Take a deep breath….. Feel that difference…..Take another deep breath….Now reflect on and consider these questions:
- What are you aware of now? What are you noticing?
- How are you feeling?
- What’s are the positive possibilities?
- What are you really good at – how can your strengths help?
- What are you grateful for?
- Who’s in your corner? Who’s with you?
- What could you try?
- What will you do?